FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA Rule on Walking Sticks / Trekking Poles
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:19 pm
Flaneurs

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by chollie
Depends on the airport. I have had items tossed before I could object. I have never seen a locked disposal container. On more than one occasion, I have seen a TSO put something close to hand, but not tossed - like an unopened bottle of water - when the disposal bins were nearby.

Many items can't be mailed (unless you already have the packaging and postage with you). I have exited the sterile area to dispose of an item in the bathroom trash instead of 'surrendering' the item to the TSO for his/her personal use.
My only experience with having to surrender an item was at PHX T3 where I gave them my Leatherman Tool as I was really pushing it on time. Once I got to the gate and Delta delayed the flight for an hour, I went back to TSA and talked to the guy to see if I could take it back and mail it. He said "Nope it is already in the locked bin" which he pointed to and said that nobody had the key. Although I am not really sure how that could be truth, the locked container did look rather stout. You can see it as you are exiting security on the right side at the lowest scanners. I think a resourceful person could find packaging and postage needed if necessary (especially with all the really nice volunteers at PHX), but YMMV. I think you can actually just throw a label on most things. I know I have seen coconuts sent like this.