FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Air buys Virgin America for $2.6 billion
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:19 pm
diver858

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Yep. Anyone who has different preferences, desires, thoughts, comfort levels, priorities, opinions, financial obligations, etc, is a "Koolaid drinker."

Typical Flyertalk.
Come on now - you are going to miss me when I am gone (from this forum, A-list status).

Having earned elite status on AA, AS and WN, I cannot understand how a frequent flyer would choose to fly WN, agree with your premise IF the choice was between say AA, DL and UA - or F9 and NK. Gary Kelly is attempting to carve out his own category, current incarnation makes little sense for frequent business travelers, requires constant marketing, reinforcement, its own reservation system to discourage comparison shopping.

The current AS management team knows what they are doing, will give Kelly a run for his money, will be interesting to see if he (as CEO) survives it. The good news is that the intra-California market has been ripe for competition for some time, Kelly should have expected it when he jacked up fares and reduced frequency, customers of both carriers will win in the short term.

My WN flights have been out of necessity - no other options. As AS/VX offer more intra-California service, I expect lots of other current WN hostages to join me in pre-reserved seats, free first class upgrades. With that said - I should be careful, don't want too much competition for those upgrades...