View Single Post
Old Mar 30, 16, 7:38 am
Cloudship

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I am not looking for a cookbook for myself. Rather, I am trying to figure out how, at least in America (but I think a similar thing happens in other countries as well), all Chinese (and this could be the same for Indian or other styles of cooking) restaurants seem to serve the same inauthentic dishes prepared more for less the same way.

When I think about the Chinese restaurants near me, they all (with perhaps one or two exceptions) have nearly identical menus. Food more or less tastes the same. I know that at least in a few of them (and I suspect most of them) the owners are recent immigrants. So it is not like they would have developed any cultural familiarity with these dishes.

So how do they all end up so similar? It would seem to make sense to me that they would least exhibit some tendency on the cooks part to reflect their own regional styles. I am assuming then that there must be some kind of instruction given by the food distributors on how to prepare "American-Chinese" food. I used to notice the same thing around here with Indian food - they all more or less had a similar menu. That has changed recently, however.