FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is there a master "Chinese" cookbook?
View Single Post
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:17 pm
YVR Cockroach
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
First thing to know is that Chinese cuisine is very regional, like Italian, French and even German and British cuisine. There is no universal Chinese food. As for Chinese food in the U.S. (which I have not eaten any of in decades), I wouldn't be surprised if it as mainly Cantonese (or ToiShan which is part of GuangDong province).

If you like Cantonese food, I would recommend one of the books of Kylie Kwong. Her methods are more refined than your basic Chinese cookbook (add ingredients of group A, stir, add ingredients of group B...).

As for flavorings, you'll find that they are used in different proportions (if it all) depending on which Chinese cuisine you are cooking.

Originally Posted by iluvcruising2
I guess you are referring to Chinese restaurants in America. Chinese food is actually very varied. Even with all the variety we get in Singapore, some of the food in parts of China are quite alien to me (and I'm Singaporean Chinese).
Then again, Chinese food in Singapore has changed with local ingredients. I was in HaiNan last month and was determined to find what is known as HaiNan chicken rice in SE Asia. Well, the dish apparently originated in SanYa with a free-range chicken (small, tough bird) from WenChang so it is called WenChang chicken.

It is served in the whole plate. Rice cooked in chicken broth isn't served, and neither is the heavy sweet soya sauce (which is Indonesian anyway). Only way you get that is at a western hotel because they are serving it the way foreign travellers are familiar with it.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 30, 2016 at 12:22 am Reason: merge