FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JNB: Airport Intercontinental or Protea Hotel Airport; also CityLodge
Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:38 am
theassassin

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club
JNB: Airport Intercontinental or Protea Hotel Airport; also CityLodge

Can I put in a good word for the IC at JNB? The last two times we have stayed there we booked a package that included breakfast for 2, a R500 food and beverage credit (which covers a reasonable dinner for 2) and a two half hour massages in the spa. I don't remember the price but it was basically the same as the room only rate. This makes it a bit less of a rip off and a great option when arriving in the late afternoon off a long haul flight before an early flight the next day to Kruger, CPT or further afield...

The rooms are nice and well sized (particularly the bathrooms), the food is good (breakfast particularly so) and the pool is nice (on the top floor where you can see the planes taking off and landing). Service is also good.

I'm sure it's not the cheapest option but a magnificent way to start an African vacation.

On our last trip we were due to land at JNB at 4pm and had rooms booked. I had to change my plans and fly via London arriving instead at 6am, with the rest of the family on the original flight.

I arrived extremely tired, jet lagged and sick and so went across to see if I could beg for an early check in. Without me even asking, they checked me in at 7am. I hopped straight into bed and conked out for 4 hours. I woke up feeling much more human and ready to meet the family when they arrived.