FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Starwood: "Marriott and Starwood stockholders approve merger"
Old Mar 26, 2016, 8:07 am
submonte

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by choco
We need more choice, not less. I don't want Marriott's greedy little hands over a brand/elite program that I have loved for many years. As far as I'm concerned, SPG is the best in the business for consumers, like me. I am truly hoping Anbang comes out on top … Marriott would just snuff out the beautiful flame which is Starwood.

Things were a LOT better when Northwest and Continental were still alive.
Bigger is not better in the travel space … competition is what keeps things
vibrant and rewarding for everyone. Refuse to fly Delta or United - lousy products. Silly to let the same thing happen to Starwood.
Well thatīs the way things are. The times are over when Conrad Hilton and JW Marriott as founders and owners managed their own companies with a long-term vision, setting standards (incl. luxury) for the hotel industry which are valid till today, chosing personally new properties, looking under the beds to check cleanliness, attracting the celebrities of their times to stay at their hotels.

Nowadays we have investors. Companies must make sufficient money to satisfy their investors. Starwood showed weakness in this respect. Yes they did a good job serving their guests and SPG members, I have been to many Starwood hotels as SPG Gold in the past, fine hotels, fine program, no doubt.

Marriott is a good choice for a merger IMHO. They know how to run hotels (incl. luxury) and have a reliable loyalty program and it is their core business (I have been Marriott Gold as well). And the merger is able to attract new or lost customers like me. The joint portfolio from midscale to luxury and the coverage all over is so attractive that you nearly canīt refuse that option as a frequent traveller.

Last edited by submonte; Mar 26, 2016 at 9:12 am Reason: "and" instead of "because"