FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:20 pm
ksandness

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
I technically have been to TYO proper, but I was 6 so it doesn't count. It sounds like I'll have enough time to see a few sights and have a proper Japanese lunch. What train station/area should I head to where the sights are fairly compact?

ETA: Yoshihashi looks like a place I MUST go for lunch!
Take the Keisei Skyliner (40 minutes) to Ueno, where you will find Ueno Park, with its museums, and Ameyokocho, a street market.

From the subway Ueno station, you can zoom over to Asakusa and see the Sensoji temple with the souvenir stands and snack booths along Nakamisedoori approach to the temple. (It's touristy, but most of the tourists are Japanese.)

If you are into electronics and manga/anime, you might want to travel south from Ueno and go to Akihabara, home of electronics stores and manga/anime geeks.

The area around Tokyo Station, the other place that's easy to go to from NRT, is generic international business land with lots of glass and steel towers. If you go to Ueno and Asakusa, you will feel as if you have really been to Japan.

Tokyo has more restaurants than you would believe. The problem will be deciding where NOT to eat.