FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:43 pm
Kacee
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
There is no one, and I mean no one in BF, and there are only two other Y seats sold on the LAX-PVG-LAX flights. I have never before experienced that no R class was available when no seats have been sold. Is this normal?
Not at all unusual. Most of the TPAC BF tickets are sold fairly close to departure. I've seen cabins go from virtually empty two weeks out to booked full a week later. UA's hoping that will occur here.

You should consider the empty cabin a positive sign that your upgrade may clear. They can open R space any time between now and departure.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am used to not getting my GPUs, but thought it was because the R class seats had been allocated, not because they were never allocated. Thank you for any insight that can be provided.
That's really not how UA manages inventory. There's not some automatic initial allocation of upgrade space. They may never open R, they may open R one seat at a time, or it may suddenly go R9 60, 30, or 5 days prior to departure (or at any other time).