FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA: Boston -> DFW -> Shanghai March 15 same day RT 567$
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:41 am
joshhoward

Originally Posted by alawrencenyc
This run is in the past but an important thing to note is that you DO NOT need a visa if you are flying in to Shanghai or Beijing and DO NOT leave the airport. Another words, on a turnaround you are not leaving the international area of the airport and no visa is required. However, you may not even find a place to smoke (if that is a desire) without leaving the international area, so be careful.

Just to confirm, I did this in November 2015 on a run, LGA-DFW-PEK r/t with no problem in LGA and no questions or problems in PEK.
While I'm sure it's possible to do this, I wouldn't recommend relying on. AA agents are required to check visa status, and will generally give you a hard time. Even the 72 hour transit exception requires a bit of advocacy (although at least you can rely on it).

Also, I would not recommend anyone do this, but if you are stuck with a RT ticket, you can book a refundable ticket to a third country and present that itinerary to get your 72 hour transit visa. Once back in the airport, simply board the flight to the US and cancel the other flight.