FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Did'nt Want To Change Seats In First Class
Old Feb 28, 2004, 3:56 am
andrzej
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
I was on AA 763 up front in 2B. 2A was taken by a young man traveling under the airline supervision and the 2 middle seats were taken by a couple. It must have been the last call, because we were there for some time, and this guy runs in, looks around, and tells me that he needs to switch with me for his 5J seat. I looked at him, and simply said that unfortunately for him, I don't have a need to switch. He starts telling me that he's VERY important, that he's some big shot financial guru, wizard, or whatever, and he needs to be off the plane as soon as possible. Still being nice, I told him, that I feel for him, but no I will not switch. At this time the guy is raising hell and everybody else including the FAs are hearing this a**hole make a total jerk of himself, *****ing me out, AA, and everybody around. I have to believe that one of the FA's informned the pilot, as he came on and with a very stern, authoritative voice announced for everybody to take their seats as we needed to push back. The d***head goes to his seat. Just before landing the pilot comes on and again with a very serious tone announces that if anybody moves before the seat belt sign is turned off, he will get the authorities involved. It was brilliant, as the guy just realized that it was all about him. He was was giving me the look and made some remarks to me during the flight everytime he used the toilet. He also said that he will be the first one of the plane anyway, which makes me think the FA made a note of it and had the captain make the announcement.

Would I switch if he was civilized about the switch? In this case probably no. I picked that seat for exactly the same reason. I had a tight connection and I wanted to check e-mail between flights. Every minute counted. In other instances I did and will do it, IF the person asks in a civilized way and I don't really care about the seat I have.