FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Silversea or Seabourn- What is the absolute best?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:15 pm
Sunny 1

Originally Posted by Pausanias
We thought the butler system on Silversea quite ridiculous. Our butler spent most of the time hanging around the corridor waiting to be asked to fetch something. We thought it was pretentious and a wee bit creepy. Frankly, I blame Downton Abbey but I guess the butler thing might impress some Americans.

On both Seabourn and Silversea (the Legend to the Caribbean; the Cloud to West Africa)we got the distinct impression that most passengers didn't really care where they were going. The cruise directors and excursion people were utterly useless.
"Might impress some Americans" Really? Silversea is owned by an Italian family. The "butler" system they have branded, I doubt, has nothing to do with "Downton Abbey". Whilst on Seabourn, I would have never asked our housekeeper for tea or a snack. However, our "butler" was happy to offer tea when the ship was "rocking" without us asking. It was nice to have "a person" "aka" a "butler" not housekeeping, to call on.

Last edited by Sunny 1; Mar 21, 2016 at 5:40 am