FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Westin New York at Times Square, NY, 2007 onward [Master Thread]
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:17 am
controller1

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I think that Foundry is what used to be Shula's, based on the layout of the room, although I don't know what meals they serve. You can look at old pictures on TA and see that the seating along the wall looks the same except for new upholstery. And of course no more football pictures.

I haven't been there in a few years, but Bar 10 was a bar at night and a breakfast place, too, in the morning. A magic wall transformed one to another.

I think they might have de-emphasized a sit down restaurant because so many people prefer to eat outside the hotel for dinner, and I don't think Shula's did that well with so many other steakhouses in town.

What's confusing me the most is when they say Foundry is on the "mezzanine" - I might be misremembering, but I thought Shula's was on the lower level (43rd St) and Bar 10/Breakfast bar was on the upper level (42nd Street/main lobby).
Shula's was in the "basement" below the lobby level. Perhaps that was the "mezzanine"? I don't remember Bar 10 offering breakfast. The three times I stayed there (2011-2014), breakfast was served in Shula's. It started out as anything on the menu but by 2014 they had adopted the strict Starwood "Continental" breakfast definition with no substitutions allowed.

I've got an upcoming reservation and we arrive late. Not really interested in sitting on a bed and having dinner through room service so wanted to just go downstairs and enjoy a quiet dinner. Looks like we'll be hitting the streets for that!