FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Poll - how many countries have you visited?
Old Sep 10, 2002, 6:25 pm
ozstamps
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stimpy:

Does the U.N. in Geneva count? What about Lapland?

I just noticed that I have all the letters of the alphabet covered except K, W, X and Z. I'm going to hit Kenya, Zanzibar and perhaps Zimbabwe soon, but what starts with W or X?
</font>
stimpy, hey count them in if YOU think they are countries.

U.N. Geneva I'd personally regard as a fair claim - it has issued its own postage stamps heavily since 1969. I spent Christmas in Rovaniemi Lapland once which was wonderful fun, despite being minus 30º on the Arctic Circle. (The Concorde flies in each year on charter for Xmas.) The only time I had my passport out between Helsinki and Rovaniemi was to get get a goofy tourist stamp applied at the North Pole Post Office there, so I do not regard it as a 'country' but a geographic region spanning several countries.

Great point about the 26 letters of the Alphabet. The only existing "real" W country/dependency I'd personally be happy with counting is the Wallis and Futuna Islands, which has been a French Pacific Territory for over 40 years, but has issued its own postage stamps since 1920. ['Wake Island' IMO is a rather silly anomaly in the listing charts.]

I personally cannot think of a country, recent past or present that begins with the letter "X" - can anyone else? Enjoy Africa, and my tip is to ensure you take the short trip across to Zambia. Sitting on the edge of Victoria Falls was THE tourist experience of my lifetime. AND you'll also notch up TWO "Z" countries in the one trip.

------------------
~ Glen ~ Calling all United 1K Members - please join .. www.1Kflyers.com

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 09-10-2002).]