FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amazon Echo
Thread: Amazon Echo
View Single Post
Old Mar 12, 2016, 8:53 am
KRSW

Originally Posted by mia
Can you flesh this out with some examples? Ms mia uses Echo as a music player and timer, but (to my knowledge) nothing else. I find the music player function frustrating because the syntax seems to be complex and I am prone to pause while speaking, which Echo interprets as the end of the command. I would like to be able to suggest some other tasks that she could try.
I use the lists feature extensively, mainly as a to-do / reminders list. If I have something on the workbench and are using both hands, it's much easer to say Alexa, add dinner with Chris to the calendar or add expense report due by Friday to shopping list.

Some of the features Amazon's pushing, like voice ordering, I don't see as practical at all, for now. I can see some of this eventually working if they started doing more local deliveries of groceries and such, but that's not my pattern with them. I've not ordered toilet paper, produce, (common) food, or any other item which I'd regularly need to restock on. I do order printer toner, but I order ~20 different types of cartridges due to wide variety of printers at my office. If I were to ask it for a box of pens, what would show up at my door? How would it handle products with stupidly-long names created by idiotic marketing departments? My old Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD comes to mind.