FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is this United's new business class layout?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 7:50 pm
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
Virgin Atlantic
You are right--Virgin Atlantic does have 1-1-1. And I I still prefer UA's BF seat, even with the 2-2-2 configuration (since I always sit in the middle 2 and therefore always have aisle access). I also FAR prefer UA service.

The fact is that I've flown First and Business on most airlines in the last few years: Singapore, Cathay, Asiana, Korean, ANA, Thai, Lufthansa, British, Virgin Atlantic (Business only), Swiss (Business only), Air France (Business only), Turkish (Business only), South African (Business only), Air New Zealand, Qantas, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar (Business only), Aeroflot (Business only), and Avianca (Business only), as well as American, United, and Delta (Business only). In the past 12 months, I've flown Emirates First, United GlobalFirst and BusinessFirst, British First, American Flagship First and Business, Delta BusinessElite, Turkish Business, Lufthansa First and Business, South Africa Business, and Avianca Business. In the coming 12 months, I will be flying Emirates First and Business, Cathay First and Business, Lufthansa First and Business, Swiss Business, Turkish Business, American Flagship First and Business, and United GlobalFirst and BusinessFirst.

The fact is that UA is pretty good for international Business in terms of HARD PRODUCT--since it's one of the few with all lay-flat seats. I obviously prefer the 2-2-2 BF cabin since I can choose the middle 2 seats to have aisle access. I even like GF, even as the seat is dated, as the hard product is still VERY comfortable and spacious. I can understand preferring a 1-2-1 for Business, as with all the leading airlines (and I don't consider Virgin Atlantic to be leading!)...and that is what UA likely will offer when it refurbishes. UA also has my FAVORITE IFE in the world--better than even CX in my opinion, and definitely better than EK and EY, despite ridiculous reports to the contrary.

UA, AA, and DL suffer in terms of soft product--but only when you compare them to the very best. They're all fine. For those who want luxury pampering, there is always Cathay, Singapore, Korean, Emireates, Etihad (if they don't run out of food) and Qatar...or even AF F. But even BA F is not much better in terms of food!

Most people whining haven't flown a lot of other airlines. Emirates and Etihad have tons of angle flat Business. Lufthansa STILL has some angle flat business, though it's finally almost gone. AF still has angle flat business. UA has a decent hard product.

Most people also haven't seen the improvement in UA international service compared to other airlines--especially AA and DL. DL is fine, but UA is just as good nowadays. AA has become a JOKE.

UA is doing fine...and is getting better. It is catching up VERY fast with Delta. In my opinion, I FAR prefer UA to DL for international travel. I only fly AA over UA if they have the better route or equipment--or if it's one of the rare AA routes with FF on a 77W. Otherwise, UA is fine!