FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA YYZ-GRU/GIG spring/summer U$550/C$750 range
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:20 pm
Shareholder
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by 24left
I read this one more than one Brazil/visa travel site. According to some articles, they are concerned that the visa requirement will keep some tourists from visiting.
The visa requirement is a pain in the neck and has seriously impacted tourism to Brazil from Canada and the US. I am fortunate to live in Toronto and have the time to visit the issuing office. When I went there was about an hour's wait to file my papers (and have a short interview), then another trip to pick up the passport...not to mention purchase a money order or get a certified cheque, the only way to pay (unlike the Chinese who take debit cards). While I was waiting I watched two applicants being rejected because they worked for an airline and were using their CON passes so could not show confirmed flight bookings. The processing agent would not accept their explanation as to how airline employees travel. They left in disgust, muttering they'll got to Jamaica or Mexico.

The visa is a reciprocal game the Brazilians play because we demand their nationals go through the process...this because thousands of Brazilians arrive in Canada and the US and never go back. Other than criminals, it's hardly like many Americans or Canadians will seek "asylum" in Brazil. I suspect given the economic problems and need for US$s, the visa requirement will be lifted entirely after the Olympics.