FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SWISS Upgrade Bargain (Bid or email invite to upgrade)
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:59 pm
wanderer35

Originally Posted by LH_001
Sure, I can offer the lowest amount of 850CHF, as I did already on my to HKG and got rejected. Some of my colleagues from the company I work in did the same:took the lowest possible offer and got rejected aus well. Dunno about other users around the world but it seems to me, that LX never takes such low offers.
A little bidding strategy.
A lot of people submit the minimum bid, just as you and your co-conspirators did.
If you submit a bid with the smallest possible delta (the size of which is usually determined by the slider) above the minimum you are ahead of, probably, most of the bidders. I do not think the selection software is too sophisticated, all it knows that you bid more than the others.
The amount of the minimum bid is quite high, about $855. If I recall correctly the minimum bid was definitely less than $500 on Austrian (JFK-VIE) when I successfully bid a couple of years ago, or so.
Ooops, I just noticed that the min bid of 850 was for a flight to Brazil. For that route it is probably a reasonable amount.

On a slightly different aspect of the topic, I have paid economy tickets JFK-ZRH for mid-April, bought on swiss.com and I did not get an invitation to upgrade.

(Promise: no more edits ...)

Last edited by wanderer35; Mar 9, 2016 at 8:09 pm Reason: Added comment on min bid, then modified it.