FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: LAX-HKG w/ 77W announced, starting 7 September 2016
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:10 pm
dfwfa

Originally Posted by Austin787
My guess:
LAX-HKG: departs LAX at midnight and arrives HKG around 6am. This 77W would then fly HKG-DFW.

HKG-LAX: departs HKG around 9pm (using the 77W that arrives from DFW) and arrives LAX around 7:15pm). Connections at LAX would be limited to the west coast; passengers traveling to the central and eastern time zones would be better off taking the HKG-DFW flight.
As an AA f/a, I don't think so. When there are flights from multiple U.S. stations (i.e., more than 1), the company likes to group them together wherever possible for both arrivals at and departures from International stations. That way they need a minimum of ground personnel to work all the flights--in one shift or less if possible.

DFW-HKG departs DFW at 11:30am (a civilized time, don't you think?). It arrives in HKG at 6:35pm the following day.

HKG-DFW departs HKG at 1:40pm arriving in DFW at 2:20pm same day.

If possible (slots available, etc.), I think you will see similar departure and arrival times (on the HKG end) on the LAX-HKG route. Now, your homework is to figure out LAX departure and arrival times working with that pesky International Dateline. Personally, it makes my head hurt just to think about it.