FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:20 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Thanks to jlemon for his time and effort in putting together this fresh new set of questions. We're off to a great start!

1. In 1958, this airline was operating nonstop Vickers Viscount turboprop service between Miami and Havana with multiple daily flights. Identify the air carrier. And here's a hint: this same airline was operating Viscount service at this same time in association with BOAC twice a week between Nassau and Havana via an intermediate stop.

Well I know that BWIA flew this route and also operated a Viscount. Unfortunately, I don't believe the Viscount ever wore BWIA's "Sunjet" livery. That would've been a nice looking airplane!

8. Also in 1966, this air carrier claimed it was providing the first scheduled passenger service at the new Grand Canyon National Park Airport. Name the airline.

This is Bonanza country, so let's go with tem operating an F27 propjet.

11. It's the summer of 1968 and you are in Houston. You need to travel to Frankfurt, Germany on business. You ascertain there is a daily flight that makes three intermediate stops en route. Identify the airline you'll be checking in with at Houston Hobby, the aircraft type you'll be flying on in first class and the three stops in the order in which they were made. Also, what was unique about this flight?

I'm thinking this may have been an early Delta/Pan Am interchange. The routing would likely have been IAH-IAD on Delta, then Pan Am IAD-LHR-FRA. As for aircraft, let's stick with the DC-8 across the board.
1. Ah, this was not BWIA ("Bee-wee").....although this same year British West Indian was overflying Cuba with nonstop Viscount propjet service between Miami and Grand Cayman which I believe was the first turboprop service into GCM.

8. Correct! Bonanza ran a print ad at the time which stated:

Something Grand has happened at the GRAND CANYON

NEW SERVICE:

* 2 Nonstops from Las Vegas
* 2 Connecting from LA
* 3 Flights from Phoenix
* 1 Flight from Salt Lake City

Bonanza would be followed by successors Air West, Hughes Airwest and Republic with the last two carriers operating DC9 and D9S service into GCN.

11. Well, you are off to good start! This was an interchange flight, Pan Am was involved and London Heathrow was one of the stops.

However, Delta was not involved, IAD was not one of the stops and the aircraft was not a DC-8.

So please guess again!