FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help with Slovenia
View Single Post
Old Feb 22, 2004, 3:55 pm
travelmad478

Programs: BA GfL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stut:
On pronunciation... The South Slavic 'j' is like a 'y' in English, only sharper. 'Lj' sounds like the 'lli' in 'million'. I seem to remember the stress being on the last syllable, and the 'a' sounding halfway between 'ah' and 'uh'.</font>
It is hard to write how the word is pronounced--cmhua777 does a good job. The "lj" sound is also like "gli" in Italian, which is often likened to the "lli" in "million" as stut notes.

If I had to write the pronunciation, I could add: "lyoob-LYAH-na". Stress is on the middle syllable, not the last.

This is a great little city, very pretty and with a lot of culture packed into a small place. Last summer, I visited friends who live there and just loved the place. I can recommend the Zlata Ribica (Golden Fish) restaurant, right in the middle of town at Cankarjevo nabrežje 5-7. They have a nice outdoor patio and the food is very good, local cuisine.

For a good grounding on what to do in Ljubljana, see http://www.geocities.com/ljubljanalife/index.htm

[This message has been edited by travelmad478 (edited Feb 22, 2004).]