FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Credit Card Asiamiles Earning discussion (HK) - 2016
Old Mar 4, 2016, 5:20 am
christep
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Of course no problem with buying coupons, but I do actually do some of my shopping for miles for things that I actually need. Like food.

And yes, I almost always know when at the checkout what each item should cost, and then I have to make a judgement depending on how big the difference between the shelf price and the till price is and how much I want to piss off the 10 people standing in line behind me to get served (my local Wellcome is seriously under staffed on checkouts much of the time). If there's no-one in line or the shelf is a few feet away then I always go and get the shelf ticket and get them to enter the correct price, but far more often I just take the hit and move on.

And of course it is illegal to have a different price on the till than on the shelf. From time to time we read in the press that C&E prosecutes Wellcome or ParknShop for this, but the fine is maybe $5000, and I guess they make more than that every day from this practice, so why would they stop?

Today's example: at ParknShop on the way home from a hike. On the shelf, special 3*TsingTao Draft (yes, I know, crappy beer, but I was thirsty and I'm a poor retiree) = $18.9. Actual price on the till = $20.7. Am I going to piss of the 10 people behind me by making them wait for 2 or 3 minutes while I go to the other end of the store, find the shelf tag and bring it back to the till, wait for them to call the manager, and do the correction? No. I just take the $1.80 hit.

Last edited by christep; Mar 4, 2016 at 5:58 am