FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A new tipping concept: tipping on amount of time waiter spends on you
Old Mar 3, 2016, 6:40 pm
ou81two
Suspended

Originally Posted by Brahmin
Tip your server by the amount of time he caters to you.

If your server spends an hour with you, pay him an hourly wage. The hourly wage should be $ 10 per hour.

This is not a job that requires education or technical skill. $ 10 equates to about $ 20,000 per year.

For this task, no one should be making 50K, 80K or 100K.

If the server does not want to improve his education and other skills, why should we be pampering him with huge tips.

For a $ 200 dinner where you spend two hours, you should only tip him $ 20. Remember that the server is double and triple dipping as he is serving other tables at the same time. Maybe then $ 10 per hour is also too much.

The restaurant owner should be responsible for their server's income, not the patron. The owners have been reaping profits without paying their due to their staff.

The servers have also become very greedy and feel that they are entitled.
Whenever I see threads like this, there's always some angry undercurrent of emotion that has led to someone developing this emotion. A rational opinion is this. I've been in countries with tipping and without tipping. You get much better service in countries with tipping and you have an immediate way to give feedback.

In terms of whatever you idea is to give tips, the government dings that waiter based on 8% of their gross receipts for their taxes. That's how tipping works in this country. If you don't like it, I suggest moving to non-tipping countries and you can enjoy that drink sitting empty for most of your meal.

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
This is ridiculous. That's like saying you should be paid for one project even though you finished two projects using the same amount of time. Me tipping 40% is a reward to the waitstaff for excellent service, not a "next round on me" offer for other patrons.
I wouldn't try to bring rational thought into this. These threads always involve, at their root, someone who feels angry because someone is getting ahead of them because they are getting tips.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 4, 2016 at 3:21 am Reason: merge