FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - how to politely ask the TSA to change gloves after searching other people's shoes?
Old Feb 7, 2004, 3:10 pm
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
While I don't normally agree w/ Spiff on TSA stuff (and don't on whether they have the right to search - not gonna win that argument w/ him or them & not going to hijack this thread :P) in this instance, I do agree w/ his comment re: firm statement & one other person's above re: reason for it (ie, smelly).

I think a polite firm request (or statement)for clean gloves because of the stinky shoes is a legitimate way to do it, and unless you're belligerent they'll probably comply. Of course you will be delayed a bit more, but worth it not to have stinky stuff.

I've done that w/ the shoe thing. I don't take my shoes off before going through the x-ray. I tell them I'm willing to go through secondary. Most of the time because I don't set off the machine, no secondary. Ocassionally, yes. Then when they ask me to take my shoes off & do the wanding thing, I politely tell them I'm willing to stand if they can find something clean (paper towel, whatever) for me to stand on, but that I'm not going to stand on a dirty floor (I'm ALWAYS polite btw). I let them know I'm not trying to make their job harder (well, maybe a bit ), but that it's a health issue for me & not a non-compliance thing. They either find something clean for me to stand on, or I get to sit on the chair (feet up a bit off floor) until my shoes have gone through, & then put them one/we do the wanding thing. It doesn't happen that often, & I'm willing to do it if it does - and being polite has always resulted in them being courteous as well.

I think if you're polite, mention your reason for asking, and let them know you're not trying to argue w/ their authority, they'll be polite back & it's not a hassle - especially in your case - hey, you poor thing - having to touch those smelly shoes even w/ gloves - would you be kind enough to get a new pair so that my clothes (fill in the blank) don't smell like it. Thanks.

------------------
Sharon

[This message has been edited by SkiAdcock (edited Feb 07, 2004).]