FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MilesBuzz: Canada
View Single Post
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:27 am
crimsona

Originally Posted by godsquare
How long does it take for ppl with zero credit history to be able to get a good card?

I will be moving from the US to Canada in a few months. In the US, I remembered it took me 3 months to get Discover IT for student and 6 months to get my first AMEX. Then, I can start churning at about 1 year.
My question is: how does it work in Canada? I will have a good income and I will get my first credit card right after I arrive through Scotia Bank "StartRight Program" (http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,2468,00.html). After that, how long should I wait until start applying for other cards?
Thank you,
Definitely go through amex global transfer. I think there's a cap of one card through the program and you won't get the improved sign-up bonuses (although the gold rewards has the same bonus publicly anyways).

Alternatively you might want to pick up a no annual fee amex through global transfer to anchor your credit report. No Canadian equivalent to the everyday, best would just be the simply cash with 1.25 percent cashback