FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotel reward programs
View Single Post
Old Feb 2, 2004, 3:50 pm
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by heimer13:
Thanks for the help. I mainly stay at HI/X as have no need for sit down b/fast. Redeem for stays at IC's. Want best point accum with easy reward nights!
</font>
Well, it roughly sounds like you would be a candidate for Fairfield (Marriott Rewards) or Hampton (Hilton HHonors) if you don't think HI is yielding enough rewards. I honestly don't know if HH or MR yield better or not.

If I were you, I'd pick the sample properties you'd do paid stays at most often, pick a couple of sample rewards from the program (I usually pick a large one, like a week in a high-end Hawaii resort and a small one, like 2 weekend nights in a mid-level hotel) and run the numbers. You should be able to come back with numbers such as "X paid nights = 1 week in Hawaii" or "$Y spent = 1 free weekend stay". Pick reward locations/quality levels that are meaningful to you: don't just use the standard award chart.

For a 150-night guest, make sure to factor in the appropriate elite bonuses and assume you will pick up the associated program credit card to use for the stays. That will be well worth it in your case.