FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Starting in April, option to cover taxes and surcharges with Aeroplan miles
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:47 am
ffsim

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Hoping for 1000 for $10 (1 CPM) and I'll probably use it
I'm on the fence here. It's nice to have the option to avoid spending 'real' cash, however...

Let's assume we're talking about a long-haul North American flight, like YUL-YVR or whatever. We're talking 25,000 AE miles and somewhere in the neighbourhood of $100 in fees. Are people really willing to pay 35,000 AE miles for the "free" flight when a Tango ticket* is about $880? Maybe, it doesn't sound like a horrible deal, but it's still 40% more miles than advertised.

But what about a TATL in Y? YUL-CDG is like 60,000 AE miles and $590-ish, so we're talking a total of 119,000 AE miles when the Tango ticket* is also about $880. That's insanely crazy, HORRIBLE value.

Full disclosure: I've used MR at the same ratio (1000 MR -> $1) on occasion. Additional disclosure: I didn't feel good about it

*Used random dates of 7/19 - 7/26 for the pricing exercises.