FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BKK Airport Questions
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 04, 5:17 pm
SAT Lawyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Platinum Pro; UA Gold MM; DL Gold; IHG Spire Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I stayed at the Quality Suites Airport Bangkok last March and was pretty unimpressed. Here are my thoughts from my trip report:

"Quality Suites Airport Bangkok

We chose to spend our last night in Bangkok at the egregiously misnamed Quality Suites Airport in order to facilitate an easier return for our early morning flight back to the States. Even though the hotel is directly across the highway from the airport (thereby ensuring the omnipresent and irritating noise of departing airplanes throughout the day thanks to no window insulation), it took our taxi nearly 20 minutes to get to the hotel thanks to poor road engineering and typical Bangkok traffic, present even on a Saturday afternoon.

The Quality Suites is difficult to locate in a generally run-down and unpleasant area (a fact we would confirm later when our taxi driver returning us from Bangkok that night got hopelessly lost). Other than the relatively close proximity to the airport, convenient for early morning departures, the only two things going for the hotel were its relatively cheap rate (about $58/night; which isn't so cheap when compared to the $47/night Priceline rate we got at the much nicer Marriott) and the enormous size of the rooms. Other than that, the rug was archaic, worn down, and heavily stained, and the room looked like it hadn't been renovated in decades. For those of you faced with a one-night stay near the airport, I'd definitely skip the Quality Suites in favor of the more expensive, but much nicer Amari Airport Hotel (which does offer a 50% discount to walk-up customers with a current TG boarding pass)."

It sounds like others were equally unimpressed with the Amari, at least in terms of value. Kinda puts you between a rock and a hard place, huh? Based on the negative reports all around, have you considered finding a comfortable, but inexpensive option further afield and taking a taxi ride from and to the airport? Bangkok taxi rides are dirt cheap and at your arrival and departure hours, traffic should be light.

[This message has been edited by cAAl (edited Jan 20, 2004).]