FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 1:08 am
Steve_ZA

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by littledubbs
I'm considering booking a turn-around on Emirates at JNB from EK763 to EK764 (2:55 between). Thanks to some weird routing (which is why I'm considering this option in the first place), EK764 would be on a separate PNR. Can anyone confirm if this is the same plane (it seems like it is), and if so, has anyone done such a turnaround (same plane, different PNR)? What are the best-case and worst-case scenarios? Also, would Emirates be likely to check my luggage through from the AKL-DXB-JNB ticket to the JNB-DXB-FRA ticket (36 hours between scheduled AKL departure and scheduled JNB departure)? If not, would the luggage transfer cause any issues (US passport, in case it makes any difference for having to pass through immigration with luggage)?
Your issue here is that your luggage cannot be checked through the same airport twice (DXB in your case) so you will need to collect it in JNB or go hand baggage only. The possible combination of a slightly late arrival, long immigration queue and slow baggage delivery could easily eat that 1:55 margin you have to get up to EK check-in.

Worst case scenario if you can't go HBO then you may not make it.

On the other hand everything might go smoothly (which would be helped by flying in a premium cabin or status with EK) then you could be through immigration and up to the check-in desk with your bags 30 minutes after the doors open. Which is what happened to me this past December, I've also waited over 2 hours for bags in the past.