FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Product Change/Card Conversion: Downgrade, Upgrade, Keep or Cancel? (2016-2019)
Old Feb 27, 2016, 8:56 pm
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Should my spouse downgrade to Chase Ink Cash

"Nobody" seems to even know that Chase has a no-fee Ink Cash card:

https://creditcards.chase.com/ink-bu.../ink-cash-card

There's some good reason for the obscurity: while the Ink Cash card rewards program is set up like the much more popular Ink Plus (with $25K limit on office supply spend) you generally can't transfer the UR points to airline/hotel partners. The exception seems to be if you have a Sapphire or Ink Plus card, or if the business's "co-owner" has one.

Both my wife and I currently have Ink Plus cards. When my $95 annual fee hit, Chase retention offered me 5000 UR points if I paid it. I did. My wife's annual fee has now come due, and they're offering her nothing.

We probably don't "need" 2 of these accounts -- especially with Bluebird shut down and the greatly increased hassle and expense of disposing of $200 and $300 Staples gift cards. Unless things change, it seems unlikely that we're going to be spending more than 50K at office supply stores in the next year.

That said, given Chase's crackdown on churning cards, it seems unlikely my wife would qualify for a new Ink card if she cancels this one. At the same time, it's hard to see great benefit in paying the $95.

I see that someone in the retention thread has been successful in downgrading an Ink Plus to an Ink Cash. Does that seem like the best strategy in this situation? Am I correctly understanding the Chase UR transfer policy (I have an additional card on my wife's Ink account, and that seems to be good enough for co-owner status). Any real reason to pay the $95 and keep 2 Ink Plus cards in the family? Thanks.