FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2 Laptop (work & personal) Setup
View Single Post
Old Feb 27, 2016, 5:13 am
Kyoto

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, past Sky Team Platinum
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
#1 Rule in my book while shopping>>> get the lightest bag possible while EMPTY.
I like to travel as light as possible. My current setup is a no-wheels shoulder bag with concealed backpack straps (MEI Executive Overnighter) as main bag/carry-on, and a really small and soft, thin backpack that weighs only 12 ounces.
Amazon.com : Gonex Lightweight Packable Backpack Hiking Daypack Upgraded Version 30L(black) : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com : Gonex Lightweight Packable Backpack Hiking Daypack Upgraded Version 30L(black) : Sports & Outdoors

It folds up all small and into one of the inner pockets if needed. I use it to carry two laptops (Dell XPS 13 and Lenovo X250), one Ipad mini, a pouch with the 2 different laptop chargers, an extension cable, iphone and another charger, and spare cables. To protect the laptops in the unpadded backpack, I simply used two air-padded UPS pouches (one slid into the other) as basic, cheap protection. An extra piece of thin foam padding (packaging material) between the laptops (laptops inserted with screen side facing each other) helps on top. Works fine for me, and just returned from a 2 weeks RTW trip with that. For me it is totally convenient, lightweight, and the parts can also go into my main bag easily if required.

To make this setup even more useful and perfect I just bought two slim foldable seat cushions at a Japanese 100 yen store (about U$1) in a neutral dark color. A bit like this, except I paid only 10% of the price:
Amazon.com : Outwolves (TM) foldable CAMPING seat, HIKING sitting pad, STADIUM or PICNIC outdoor cushion, BACKPACKING mat - Waterproof - High-density & Low weight EVA foam - Winter, snow, ice insulating - Orange Color : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com : Outwolves (TM) foldable CAMPING seat, HIKING sitting pad, STADIUM or PICNIC outdoor cushion, BACKPACKING mat - Waterproof - High-density & Low weight EVA foam - Winter, snow, ice insulating - Orange Color : Sports & Outdoors
With these slim seat cushions (they are the size of a 13" laptop), I have basic protection for the laptops, and a seat cushion when needed during my leisure strolls.

Overall, while I have contemplated many different and sturdier, larger, more expensive packpacks for my electronics, as day bag, and personal item on flights, I am so far quite happy with this minimalistic choice.