FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suv parking (oversize?) manhattan
View Single Post
Old Feb 25, 2016, 3:32 pm
Nugget_Oz

Originally Posted by kklems
Actually picking up at Newark, dropping off at LGA ($5 more so it was cheaper than taking transportation from newark to LGA and no time involved)

Most of my time in Manhattan is during the week which is why I planned on parking and leaving the suv for the majority of those days. I do understand that when I park for the day I would not get in and out but I had never pre-bought multiple consecutive days of parking from a garage online so I wasn't sure how that worked. ie pay for parking May 1,2,3,4. Ie I pull in May 1, if I left May 3 to go somewhere and came back on May 3 or 4th how that worked.

I was aware of the SUV charge (looks like most places are $15) but if I can average around $45 a day in parking fees I still come out far ahead. It is insane but a 4 day rental($9xx) is more than a 10 day ewr-LGA rental ($8xx with fees) and throw in a second 3-4 day rental (Another $9xx for the 4 day) and it as much as another 10 day rental period. (cars are listed as $220+ a day..even the sparks are $88 a day) I do need to go back and reprice other agencies but my reservation info is via hertz.com.
Most of the pre-book rates don't allow you to take the car out during the pre-booked period. However, what you can do, and it's usually not a problem is to book at the daily rate (rather than the 5 day rate) and then you can take the car in/out once during the day. I can understand it's a hassle when you all want to go somewhere (especially if it's to the boroughs) with that many people. Factor in the parking hassle and you'll be fine or decide which days you will need to car and arrange it with the lot attendant when you get there and give him a tip for his trouble.

On a question by another poster there are some garages which provide main floor parking, which is basically self park, but the rate is outrageous.