FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2016 Program Year Elite Status Buyback / Renew / Boost (consolidated)
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:49 pm
sidorg222

I received this offer. I'm am currently Platinum, and was offered the same $1199 to renew Plat for 2016 until Feb 2017. Didn't travel enough in 2015 to re-qualify.

I think it's impossible to achieve Platinum from Gold and only spend $1200 on flights. You need to get 60 total segment, or 50K miles. And with the EQP points going away, it becomes even harder. If you want Platinum, this is bar none, the easiest and quickest way to get it if you are not close to earning Platinum. If you are closer, then a MR maybe better.

Originally Posted by GrandMoffJoseph
I reached Gold late last year (my first status ever, woot!) and a couple of days ago, I received an interesting email from AA.

Basically, it offered me the ability to instantly jump to Plat status for a lump sum of $1199. Now, I doubt I'll have enough sustaining flight activity in the next 12-13 months to keep Gold going past early 2017, so I'm obviously not looking at this offer with 100% seriousness.

But, I'm curious: Has anyone else received offers like this before? All context aside, is this even worth it? OR could you easily reach Plat for less than $1199 on your own?

Thanks!

Last edited by sidorg222; Feb 25, 2016 at 2:12 pm