FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure
Old Feb 25, 2016, 11:11 am
FrancisA

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by radui
I think that BA are not making ANY changes to the fares except eliminating the standard (V1 fare basis). Right now we have four fares (HBO Z0, Standard V1, Semi-Flex V2, Fully-Flex V3). The document says that from March 8th there will be three (HBO Z0, Semi-Flex V2, Fully-Flex V3). I think it is wishful thinking that any fare pricing will change for Semi-Flex - it is clear that all is happening here is removing the Standard choice offering.

Moreover the features advertised for the new Semi-Flex are the same as for the current Semi-Flex - no changes whatsoever.
I am not sure that this is right.

What matters is what fare bases are sat under each heading.

Taking Europe to LGW as an example. At the moment the following fare bases sit under each heading:

HBO: O-Q-N-S-V-L-M-K-H
Standard: O-Q-N-S-V-L-M-K-H
Semi-Flex: B
Fully-flex: Y

If this is correct and the Standard category is just abolished, those wishing a fare that includes baggage will need to pay for a B (or even Y) fare. HBO will cover all of the discounted fares and there will be no advanced purchase discount to anyone wishing to take checked luggage.

The consequence would be more HBO fares sold, may be more HBO fares sold with luggage purchased (which would look much like an old standard fare, but without seat selection and involving more hassle to book) plus more customers going to airlines that offer more straightforward and transparent pricing.

Given that the stated aim of this exercise was to streamline the number of variants and make things simpler for the passenger that sounds very odd.

An alternative would be to realign the fare basis codes to reflect a new distribution after the elimination of the standard category. That could include realigning all the discounted basis codes under the semi-flex heading so that they become semi-flexible when sold as a with-luggage combination and perhaps reducing the number of codes under the HBO heading. Whatever happens in the latter case, anything sold as HBO will not have semi-flexible terms if sold under that heading.

Until BA issue a table showing the distribution of fare basis codes to the three new headings (HBO Z0, Semi-Flex V2, Fully-Flex V3), it is impossible to determine whether electing to check luggage has just become very expensive or brings much more flexibility for the old price.

However, unless BA has finally decided to become a fully-fledged LCC, I cannot for a moment imagine having to book a minimum of a B class fare to be able to check a bag in economy.