FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Enhances its short haul economy fare structure
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:31 am
FrancisA

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by james_yuen
As one who often takes advantage of the "flight+hotel" offers which are often quite good, would the flights on them now be "with checked baggage" or "hand baggage only". They used to be with checked bag but often had tight flight changes on them?
I cannot see why BA would want to suddenly change its "holiday" fares (these are sold by BA holidays and include ABTA protection) to hand baggage only.

It may be stereotyping, but a popular view would be: HBO = business, with-luggage = leisure. Making holiday bookings HBO is not consistent with this.

Similarly, I cannot see any reason to change redemptions (these are already fully-flexible). Why strip out the luggage allowance?

To my mind, these changes are part of a strategy to rebalance the relative attractiveness of HBO vs with-luggage fares. We have had the stick (no HBO seat selection for status passengers); now with have the carrot (semi-flexible fares with free same day changes on with-luggage fares).