FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My first BA mileage run. Help map my airport journeys
Old Feb 24, 2016, 3:47 am
Aztec_Flyer

Programs: VS Silver, EK Gold, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by StarlightSusan
I won't be purchasing duty free for most of the journey, but is it an option prior to the final DUB-PHL flight? Also, since the DUB T2 lounge is landside will I have time for a visit?
The T2 lounges are airside (as are all lounges in Ireland). It's situated after security but before the US pre-clearance, just one level below the main duty free area.

Given your routing I think DUB (just prior to your return PHL flight) is the best location for duty free purchases. The Euro is quite weak against the USD and the selection in the duty free in DUB T2 is very good (certainly when compared to any US based duty free outlet).

It might be worth having a look at the lounge meet-up thread. You'll be able to use the GF lounge in LHR but given you're travelling from the US to do a quick trip back to HNL there are plenty of like minded people in the CCR to swap stories with! If your dates match up I'm sure you'll get an invite given that itinerary.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes you can. I think duty free gets complicated given the route you are on. If you go down towards pre-clearance I'm not sure you can double back to the duty free shops, though I can't see anything that would stop you. You're also supposed to be at pre-clearance 2 hours before, which is admittedly overkill. I wouldn't try too hard on either account, for duty free there is a cut-off when the shop won't accept your purchase for the flight; there again there is nothing after pre-clearance other than a café or two.
I'm not sure the duty free cut-off issue is relevant for DUB? I know in the US the duty free is delivered to the gate but in DUB you just take it with you from the shop when you purchase it?

Even though DUB is my home airport the fact that it's you CWS I'm now actually doubting myself!