FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sneaky Expiration of Starwood Points?
View Single Post
Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:16 pm
KENNECTED
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ginabee2
My husband just had all of his Starpoints expire (or perhaps forfeited is the right word) because of "inactivity" on his account - although the stay that he had a few weeks ago did appear on this account.

When we got married a few years ago, he cancelled his SPG credit card because he became a secondary cardholder on mine. And over the past few year, he's stayed multiple times at Starwood properties, but never received credit for them, either because I booked them for us (in fact we were responsible for booking a block of TEN rooms at the Nines in Portland last year for a family wedding!), and they appeared in my name, or he traveled through work and a producer booked a block of rooms for the team.

What's irritating is that we were just about to call and have SPG transfer his points to my account (something that SPG offers to married couples) so we could redeem them all for a 5 night stay - but I guess we were a few weeks too late.

He's made a few calls, and though it looked promising at first, they are saying that the points cannot be reinstated. This feels pretty terrible given that we have been 100% loyal to SPG, staying solely at SPG properties when we have the choice and using the credit card almost exclusively.

Any advice or hope for getting these points reinstated?
Based on what you wrote, your husband did not have eligible stays. If you booked/reserved a room in your name, using your SPG number and your credit card. Your husband was not eligible for credit.

If your husbands company booked rooms in block, the rooms were most likely not eligible for points due to being a negotiated rate.

In reality, based on what you wrote, your husband account was inactive.

At any time did you inquire with SPG (the research department) as to why no stay credit or points were posted to the account?? You say you called SPG, what was said? That information is important to this post.