FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:23 am
RobertHanson

Originally Posted by Happy
I dont even ever own T-M as RL is cash only here. The only grocery store chain here that carries cash equivalent has stopped taking CC since 18 months ago.
I was very lucky, as I had a local Vons where the cashiers hadn't bothered to look at the front of the RL cards in forever. I'd been buying the old cards there forever, the cashiers recognized me, and would say on their own "$495 like usual?".

So when they got the new cards in, that said "cash only", no one noticed. I'd been buying $10K a month there of "cash only" RLs for the last year. Then around a month ago, whether it was hard coded, or just a glitch, the register charged my card, but the RL was NOT activated. The cashier noticed that, and called over a manager, who while in the process of trying to find out why it didn't activate, saw the "cash only" on the card, and said "so my cashiers have been selling you a cash only card with a cc?".

And one of the nearby cashiers said, "yes, he always buys them for $495". Cover totally blown.

Although they always say that the cards cannot be refunded, it turns out it isn't true. They reversed the charge to my card, and graciously tried to run the sale thru again with a different RL, but again it charged my cc card, but didn't activate the RL. So they refunded that charge too, and talked about how that was going to give their accountant fits.

There went my $10k a month of totally free MS.

Last edited by RobertHanson; Feb 23, 2016 at 12:46 pm