FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cannot use AAdvantage Platinum card benefits on AA if ticket purchased with TYP?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:20 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by churwitz
I have a Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select card. Some of the benefits are: free bags for me and my travel party and group one boarding when flying AA.

I bought tickets on AA using Thank You Points, and both AA and Citi are telling me I do not get those benefits on my upcoming flight as I did not use the Citi AAdvantage credit card to pay for my flight.

Anyone had this issue before?
Your Citi AA card is linked to your AA account and that is all that matter despite what the T&Cs. In practice neither AA nor Citi ever has enforced the condition that the ticket must be paid with Citi AA card in order to enjoy the benefit, probably because they dont have a way to enforce that!

Originally Posted by churwitz
That's great news! It does show I'm a cardholder and my AAdvantage number is linked to my reservation. I wonder why the AA rep told me otherwise (perhaps it was because I called when I had just received my card). Anyway, glad to hear I should still get the benefits when I check in for my flight.
This is what matters. As long as the TYP bought ticket has your AA number linked to it, you should get all the benefits from the Citi AA card which needs to be acquired 7 days prior to your travel date.