FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:55 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
All credit card CDW coverage applies to AUs who rent vehicles, right?
AFAIK, yes. The card used must have your name embossed on it - this are the words from the Chase benefits rep (a 3rd party company by the way). I also have asked the similar questions from AMEX and Citi.

As an AU on a card, certainly you would have a card with your name embossed on it and that card must be used for the rental in order to gain coverage.

Also you could be the co-driver on the rental car but the car is paid for by the primary cardholder, as long as your name is on the contract as co-driver, the card's coverage also applied. Though I am sure adding a co-driver would jack up the rental cost.

I would also caution you this - if you rent a car from a site where a basic CDW coverage is included to the rental rate, but the country is NOT a mandatory country to have CDW, you would forfeit the credit card coverage because you pay the CDW even though it is part of the rental rate. Note the practice to include the basic CDW in the rental rate is a common practice for UK sites and European sites, but definitely NOT for US sites.

Weigh your options when you try to find a "good deal". I would definitely make sure first if the country is a mandatory country or not. If it is not, I dont want to have any CDW incorporated in the rental rate because it would still leave you on the hook for the "excessive" which generally is a Thousand or more, that your CC would NOT cover.