FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Damage to hire car that I absolutely did not cause - Sixt trying to charge me.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:28 am
seawolf
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA884
You're assuming that Sixt charges its customers the actual cost of repairing the cars. Based upon the amounts charged, as reported in this thread and others, I believe that there is a substantial markup. I wouldn't be surprised if it's 100%.
Cost depends on who is doing the work. If they have a third party fix the cars (eg dealership or otherwise independent repair facilities) and is simply passing the bill across to renter, Sixt is not profiting from this unless you are accusing them of a kick back scheme thus my previous comment that you need to have an understanding of that business relationship (or relevant Germany industry knowledge) to make such an accusation.

Furthermore you also need to look at this holistically. How many times were there damages in which Sixt were not able to successfully pursue claims or insurance reimbursement? Those are rarely reported on FT. Those are losses. Without this information, it is also difficult to say whether this is a profit center as a whole.

Basing a conclusion on FT reports results is flawed as the reports are skewed towards damages to begin with and underreport the number of times Sixt drop their claims or the number of times Sixt decided not to initiate a claim against the renter to begin with.

Last edited by seawolf; Feb 20, 2016 at 6:39 am