FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:35 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by onebagtraveller
Awesome to hear!

I was just about to post to ask about recent TPE experience.

As you come into the T2 hall is the APEC desk towards right or left side? Just in case it is chaos it would be nice to know which way to swim.

Thanks!
On arrival, when you enter the hall the APEC desk is on the very far wall, the last desk on the farthest side of the room - so you can admire the hundreds standing in line as you walk past them, then fret over your lack of EGate access, then finally arrive at the APEC/handicap/special services desk - it will be faster, but because stroller children, wheelchairs and other special needs are in the same line, you may still have a wait, just not nearly as long.

On departure, the APEC special screening area is well hidden - and if you ask anyone at the security checkpoint they will try and force you into the regular line even if you show them your APEC card, so it's best not to even ask - just go to the far left of the security entrance and keep walking away from it until you see a doorway with a tiny sign that lists special services, wheelchairs, strollers and APEC. Go through the door, hang a right at the end of the short hall, you'll get the private entrance area. Show your APEC card with your boarding pass and passport and you'll be through security quickly and then over to a private immigration desk just for users of that screening room....again, admire all of the unlucky people standing in line, especially during the early morning, and perhaps catch sight of a mainland Chinese tourist trying to sneak over to cut the into the APEC line before being dragged away.

The new process has taken my TPE arrival and departure stress level down 90% and I'm already in the lounge eating breakfast long before any of the people I passed entering security have even been screened, let alone gone through immigration processing.