FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ramada Mazatlan Resort $7
View Single Post
Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:06 am
Stygian7

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Renard
If I were going to Mazatlan, I wouldn't normally book this place. I've been told that from among the various Mexican tourist cities, this is probably among the least safe.
I've been going to Mazatlan for the past 24 years and have never felt even remotely unsafe. Initially, we traveled down every December for 3 weeks staying in a timeshare; my first trip in 6th grade. My parents purchased a home there around the time I was in high school. My brothers and I have had numerous nights out at the bars and all made it home safely, even times when we probably shouldn't have. I have cumulatively spent at least a year and a half of my life in Mazatlan. Those days are behind me, but the point is, unless you are trying to buy drugs or entertain some other illegal activity, you are generally very safe in Mazatlan.

I can't say much about the Ramada; I haven't been to Mazatlan in a couple years and have never stayed at any hotel besides the El Cid. As I remember, it's a generic hotel and I wouldn't expect much. The location is fine, but not great.

Although I have spent most of my time in Mazatlan, I have visited A half dozen other destinations in Mexico and found MZatlan to be the best all around. It doesn't have the sparkling waters of the Caribbean, but has the longest open beaches of anywhere I've been in Mexico. If you're not aware, by Mexican law, all beaches are public; however, in places like Cabo, natural (or man made to look natural) barriers prevent you from walking the length of the beach. This is nice if you want to pay for seclusion, but not so nice if you want to run on the beach.

I am leaving for Mazatlan tomorrow; if things have changed, I'll be sure to report back.