FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Replacing ThinkPad T520
View Single Post
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:58 pm
nkedel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I've been on a T440s for a couple of years. No significant keyboard issues for touch typing; it feels very much like all my other ThinkPads going back years.

You might want to consider a T450/550 on clearance when they announce the T460/560.

(I downsized to a 14" screen with the T440s and, given today's resolutions, the reduction in size and weight is a great tradeoff for giving up 1.5 inches of diagonal screen size.)
For the OP: One thing to be aware of coming from the T520 generation is that the Tx40 and Tx50 are a U-series ultrabook processor, not a full-power mobile processor like the Tx20/Tx30. Especially with the Tx40 and T440s, that may well actually be a touch slower than the T520. I'd recommend, given the mention of software development, and the T520 feeling a bit slow, sticking to the T440p/T540p or to the T460p.

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Not for my eyes it isn't! I need a big screen to be able to display a reasonable amount of content with larger-than-normal fonts.

Thanks for the suggestions!
If you want a 15" matte screen, you are going to either end up with an ultrabook CPU (T550/T560) or a workstation replacement (P50) or going to Dell/HP, or an older generation machine.

Take a look at the Dell E5570 (or its near-clone, the Precision M3510) -- it's the closest thing in the current generation from anyone to the T520. The T560 should be a good choice if you can live with the processor (if you have a dual core i5 or i7 in the T520, it should be enough of a generational jump to be slightly faster; if you have a quad-core i7, it would be a huge downgrade.)

Also take a look at the T540p -- it should be very affordable right now, as it's an outgoing model, sadly without a replacement, and while it's only a 2-generation CPU jump, they were pretty big generations.

Originally Posted by chx1975
Pinged me? Click the link, I have included a timestamp where David Hill all but promises the retro thinkpad for the 25th anniversary, 2017. David Hill Q&A with Lenovo Insiders - YouTube
Thanks for sharing the link!