FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anybody get sick day after a flight?
View Single Post
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:25 am
Marathon Man
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
On numerous occasions--mostly on domestic flights, I end up with a respiratory issue after my flight.

On one long haul international flight on which I was flying business class where life is somewhat cleaner although we all know air travels everywhere within the enclosed space, I could actually feel it coming on as I laid back watching movies. I was sick--in the summer-- once I got home--for 2.5 weeks.

But as said, it is mostly on domestic flights (at least 5 in the past 2 years if not more) and length of flight rarely matters.

~I drink plenty of water.

~I think of myself as relatively healthy and fit most of the time (regular exercise and good eating).

~I rarely drink alcohol on domestic flights as they are shorter and may involve business travel, or in the case of my most recent ski trip out west, we had to drive a long distance after the flight and be on our game for both that and skiing the next day (drinks to be enjoyed in the apres ski bar afterwards of course).

~I wash my hands regularly with soap and water.

~I have taken vitamin C and/or other tablets such as Calcium/Magnesium or other supposed preventative over the counter concoctions.

~I do not smoke.

~I have had sinus infections in my past and I have had coughs and colds in life, but there is no adverse medical history in my chart or in my family history concerning anything like this. I am lucky enough to say I have a clean bill of health and do see the Dr regularly, with check ups and physicals, etc.

It sometimes start off with my getting the chills or the sweats. It then may involve the sniffles but ultimately, a deep cough and some expectorant (think of that cartoon character in the Mucinex commercials). For days or weeks afterward, I can be plagued with this cough and a wheezing and hacking that hurts my chest, wipes me out, and makes me wonder how everybody else flies around, goes to meetings and comes home to see family only to do it all again the next week without ever seeming to have these problems!

What, if any, preventative measures or remedies can people think of aside from:

~not flying.
~wearing a SARS mask.
~spraying everything and everyone around me (if even able to bring any spray on board) all the time.
~flying private jets only.
~being the guy who is someday known as the person responsible for the clean air air act of 2016, which forced airlines to never send a plane out unless it was cleaned by the same people who clean up a nuclear spill.

thoughts welcomed

MM