FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it bad to frequently cancel flights within 24 hours?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:50 pm
bmwe92fan

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by kop84
I would draw a distinction booking a trip that you may be taking and the cancelling the next day, and rebooking for the same flight, you're really only tying up 1 seat that you're most likely using.

As opposed to booking a flight leaving Monday, another Tuesday, and another Wednesday, with the same O/D and then cancelling 2 of them as then you're tying up multiple seats with 2 of them you couldn't possibly take.

Or booking a flights all leaving Monday EWR/LAX, EWR/MIA, EWR/MSY again you're tying up at least 2 seats you can't possibly travel on.

The first scenario I don't think would be a huge deal (unless repeated an obnoxious amount of times), the other two I could see UA taking offense with impossible itineraries being booked.
In my example I had three fare locks for my flight next week to LHR - one departing next Saturday arriving Saturday night, one departing Saturday night arriving Sunday, one departing Sunday arriving Sunday night - all had the same return date. I have a trip Friday morning to Hong Kong and didn't know my return date until recently so I couldnt choose my departure to London - if UA doesn't want to let me use fare lock then they should prohibit it - but I'm growing really tired of dealing with UA when I follow the rules and still get screwed....

And yes the flight to Hong Kong and back is on UA lol....