FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:55 am
JATR4

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Be careful: If you ask whether the card comes with a bonus during the applications process, they'll tell you "yes", but that's based on the wording of the offer you signed up for, not whether in the end Citi determined you qualify for that offer.

If you call prior to getting the card, and use your application ID, are you sure you're not just getting that information rehashed, rather than the information about whether your account was deemed qualified for the bonus?

That's why it's the wrong question to ask whether the card has the 50,000 bonus.

The right question to ask is: By what date do I need to finish the $3000 spend to get the 50,000 bonus.
If they can't tell you the date yet, they're not looking up your new card account to see whether you qualified, they're just looking at the benefits the card application names.
When the CSR answered he asked for the APP ID. As soon as I gave it to him he said the card had been approved and told me the credit line. I then asked about the bonus and he said let me check. He confirmed a 50K bonus with $3K spend in three months.

I wasn't doing this for myself. I already had the letter confirming the bonus and the spend is complete. The purpose for my call was to demonstrate to others that you don't need the card number to confirm the bonus--the APP ID is sufficient. For those who get a letter and the bonus is not mentioned, this is one way to verify whether they will get the bonus or not.

And my question to the CSR got the same information as yours would have.

P.S. For those wanting an extra 10,000 miles. I sent a simple secure message for both me and my wife asking if we were eligible for the extra miles available on a 60K card application. We were both approved. In fact, my 10K extra has already posted--before I met the spending requirements. Try it. You have nothing to lose.

Last edited by JATR4; Feb 17, 2016 at 11:19 am