FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IC Hong Kong Master Thread (closed for renovation until 2022)
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:56 am
TravelLawyer

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by CLG
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm struggling with the value proposition, though, since I'm basically going to be the only one enjoying it yet paying for 2 people...

I feel like I can put that ~US$200 spend to better use at the hotel's other facilities.

Should I reconsider?

CLG
Yes, you might want to reconsider, especially if you can find better value elsewhere. If you are looking for value, the ICHK lounge definitely does not have it. I had lounge access during my last stay (it was included in a special promotion with Virtuoso) and I would not have paid out of pocket for it. The breakfast selection is good. The buffet has a small variety of western and dim sum options. There's also a custom order menu where you can get eggs benedict or steak and eggs or corned beef hash. However, the quality is the same as your local HK cafe (i.e. I would have gotten the same spending ~$10 usd) - you're just paying to eat in a fancier seat. Drinks and snacks are only available at certain hours of the day - there's no all-day grazing. And the cocktail hour snacks are fancy - each one is individually plated and garnished but I didn't think it tasted that great. IMHO, there is no way for you to eat and drink $200usd/day to make it worth it. Now if you factor in the snootiness factor, it might make up the difference. It's exclusive and and there's never a ton of people there at any given time, and you're paying for some of that exclusivity.

If you intend on staying at the ICHK, pay for the harbourview upgrade, then eat elsewhere (for me, it's either harbourview or stay somewhere else - nothing in the hotel can offer you value for their base rates - rooms are dated and small, service is nearly nonexistent, inconvenient locale, etc). The only restaurant we tried in the hotel was Nobu and it was excellent (but we had been wanting to go to Nobu regardless of what hotel it was in). We ordered the tasting menu to share + 1 extra waygu steak entree. With drinks, it was about $200 usd and completely worth it.