FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Discussion of Chase RR Visa 40K-75K sigunup points offers -- NO REFERRALS!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:37 am
wendydarling33

Originally Posted by toade
Another data point...

Time to get a new companion pass, so I applied for the Plus over the phone. At the time, I was in a hurry to make some purchases (and had not read the good advice of this thread) and called the RECON line for my application. The first lady looked over things, asked why I had applied for so many cards in the last 2 years, and said she couldn't approve me over the phone, and would need to "elevate my case."

Called back a couple days later, and same response, was told too many cards opened in the last two years and was denied. Tried again a day later, with the same response (although this person seemed close to approving me). Was planning on trying once more, when 10 days later I get an email from Chase saying my Southwest Card was approved and in the mail.

I called the automated line, and sure enough it said I was approved. Card showed up the other day. This all happened a good three weeks after initially applying. I'm guessing had I never called it would have went through, and that I got lucky that somehow it went through anyway, despite the agents denying me.

Moral of the story... wait it out. These days you have a better shot with the system than with the agents.
Thanks for that story. I applied for the SW Preferred four days ago and called in right away when it went to pending. The agent asked me all the normal questions and then in the end said he was recommending me for approval but since I already had 5 cards open with Chase, he needed to have it go through a secondary approval which should take a day or two. He sounded pretty confident about me getting the card so I didn't offer to close a card or reduce credit limits (which I would totally be willing to do). Well now it's been 4 days and still nothing so I'm getting a little antsy, wondering if I should call in and offer one of those options. But hearing your story, maybe I'll wait until I hear one way or another. The waiting is painful though!