FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How much insurance coverage for award travel: SYD to SJC?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:30 am
sciconf

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Just by paying taxes with CC, I am going to get a travel ins? I never heard of it. Which cars issues travel ins for paying taxes?"

Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Mileage Plus Explorer are two that I know of.
Let me get this correct - those two CCs, irrespective of the rewards program (AA, MR, UR ...) if you pay the taxes, they will give insurance for your trip? In any case, mine is regular Chase Sapphire with no annual fee.

[SIZE=1]
"I don't know if questions can be answered by questions"

Perhaps not, but some questions cannot be answered at all if they are too general. While you certainly do not have to share anything personal with the forum, are you certain that the "potential scenario" you are concerned about is a covered peril under any travel insurance you can purchase?
That's exactly what I stated on my original post.

[SIZE=1]And when you ask "how much insurance?", have you found companies that offer different amounts of coverage on a travel-insurance policy? And what are you trying to insure against? The cost of additional food and lodging in SYD? The fees to re-deposit your miles? The cost of purchasing last-minute cash tickets if you cannot find award seats on your new departure date?
When I get quotes, the web sites ask how much was the cost of the trip - what would be an optimal amount to put for an award ticket - I am only concerned about my rtn trip - it was hard to get the award booked in the first place. Due to an emergency, if I had to postpone the trip by a week, I have no clue what I am up against ... availability of an award ticket? If not pay out of ticket? I am mostly looking for the rtn ticket - might be food & incidental - I am sure the insurance will cover hotel too.

What should I enter as the cost of the trip? How much coverage should I get? I appreciate some range?