FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hajj, A Journey of a Lifetime: An Insiders Look
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:51 am
PWMTrav

This was one of, if not the most, fascinating trip reports I've ever read. As a western non-Muslim, I need to tell you that parts of it sound terrible () but I also think I understand the role of sacrifice and hardship involved in the journey. Medina looked beautiful, a place I wish I could visit, but I hear Saudi doesn't issue tourist visas.

Naturally, my mind gravitates toward the infrastructure. Again acknowledging the roles that sacrifice and hardship play into the experience, it seems to be a wealthy country could make a few things at least a little more safe/comfortable. Since pilgrims are generally traveling the same paths, rail to cover the longer distances instead of busses and drivers asleep at the wheel and such. It seems like you spent an inordinate amount of time waiting to get a bus or van to somewhere else, as well as the administrative immigration processes - things that don't seem to be related to the religious/spiritual experience - could definitely be smoothed out. I don't mention that to be critical, it's just what I was getting anxious about as I read through the report! I was glad to hear you made it through without some kind of injury.

This was awesome to read. Thank you for writing it up in this much detail with all of the pictures.